This is my go to when we are under the weather or not feeling at our best. I swear there is something that no matter what we always feel better after eating this! It is just so easy to throw together and goes perfectly with a grilled cheese sandwich. I ended up adding more broth later but it was still a very hearty soup. I used a rotisserie chicken but if you have more time you can cook chicken breasts. Either way it is so good!
Chicken Noodle Soup
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 qt carrots, sliced (I used some that we had canned)
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1 large sweet onion, peeled and diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
64 oz low-sodium chicken broth (I added about 16 more oz after cooking)
2 bay leaves
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground pepper
1 bag wide egg noodles
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (or 2 cups of chicken)
- In a large pot, add oil and heat over a medium-high heat.
- Add the carrots, celery, onion, and sauté for almost 7 minutes or until they soften.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, pepper, and bring to a boil. Allow the mixture to boil gently for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Add noodles and continue to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add in the chicken and boil for another 1 to 2 minutes, just until the chicken is warm. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a grilled cheese and enjoy!