For the longest time I always thought that icing was this difficult, evil recipe and that is why you should just buy it from the store. But I came to the day where I made carrot cake muffins and my husband asked if I was going to ice them. I looked to the pantry and found nothing. So I found a recipe and crossed my fingers. Boy did it work. This icing is so good and creamy. Be prepared for a fight over who gets the extras.
1/2 c butter, softened (1 stick)
2 tsp vanilla
3-5 Tbsp milk
4 c powdered sugar
1. Add butter to the mixer and beat the butter on medium speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
2. Just before 3 minutes, add vanilla and milk, continue beating.
3. Reducing to medium low, add in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time.
4. Beat for about 3 more minutes, moving to a high speed. (You can add food coloring if you want during this part.) (If frosting is too stiff add a little milk)
5. Spread on cakes, cupcakes, or cookies!