The original recipe called for vegetable shortening, I substituted lard in at a 1:1 ratio. Lard actually is better for you since shortening has a lot of chemicals. Also, if you do not have any buttermilk you can make some by adding 1 Tbsp cider vinegar or lemon juice to 1 c milk (my friend Ashlee told me that little nugget of information! I never have to buy butter milk AGAIN!)
Makes 16 biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c lard
1 egg, lightly beaten
2/3 c buttermilk
Preheat oven to 400*F
1. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Cut lard into chunks and add into the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter and cut into the mixture.
3. Stir in egg and buttermilk, mixing well.
4. Knead lightly on floured surface and pat or roll to about 3/4-inch thickness. (I left mine a little thicker. Better too thick than thin.)
5. Using a floured biscuit cutter, cut biscuits and place onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.