Bread and Butter Pickles
5 lbs of cucumbers
4 large onions
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup canning and pickling salt
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 Tbsp mustard seeds
3/4 tsp ground turmeric
5 whole cloves
1. Cream cucumbers, trim stem and blossom ends. Cut either in 1/4 inch thick slices or use your mandolin for length wise slices. (we did a mixture)
2. Cut onions in half, and slice crosswise into 1/8 inch thick slices. Place cucumbers, onions, and bell pepper in a bowl, toss with salt.
3.Cover and let stand for 3 hours at room temperature; drain.
4.Sterilize jars and prepare lids. While jars are boiling, bring vinegar and next 4 ingredients to a boil in an 8 quart stainless steel stock pot. Stirring just until the sugar dissolves. (I suggest doing this in a well ventilated area)
5. Add drained cucumber mix and cook, stirring often, for 7 to 10 minutes (until the cucumbers turn a dark green)
6. Ladle hot mixture into hot jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
7. Process jars in water bath for 10 minutes.
8. Remove and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours.