Our garden is doing so well and we had extra Zucchini so I searched the internet for recipes other than the usual Zucchini Bread (which is delicious).
Monday night we had Stuffed Zucchini Cups. They were a huge hit!
2 Large Zucchini (we used a yellow and green)
2 tsp + 2 tsp Olive Oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 Green Bell pepper finely chopped
2 Sweet banana peppers chopped
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1lb Ground Venison
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 pack of Taco Seasoning (optional)
2 cups pasta sauce
2 cups low fat mozzarella or other cheese
Paprika to taste (optional)
Garlic powder to taste (optional)
Italian Seasoning to taste (optional)
Pre-heat the oven to 350*F
1. Chop the onion, green pepper and banana pepper
2. Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a pan, sauté the onion and peppers until they start to soften. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute. Make sure to not over cook the garlic it should not turn brown. Put the vegetable mixture into a bowl and set off to the side.
3. In the same pan, add the additional 2 tsp of olive oil and cook the venison with the taco seasoning. When meat has cooked, add the vegetable mixture and quinoa. Stir together and let cook for a couple minutes. Add the pasta sauce and simmer until mixture has thickened (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool.
4. While the venison mixture is cooling, clean and cut the zucchini into about 2 inch sections. Using an ice cream scoop or melon baller, scoop out the inside of the zucchini leaving about a 1/4 inch along the sides. We seasoned the inside of each cup with paprika, garlic powder and used Italian Seasoning in a couple and they turned out delicious.
5. The venison mixture should be cooled, add 1 1/2 cups of cheese to the mixture and spoon into the cups. Press down slightly to pack. I add a little extra to each after that.
6. Bake for 20 minutes and then add extra cheese. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.